Wednesday, March 26, 2014

We are losing another teacher. - Teacher Shortage looming

I too am quitting teaching.  I find the grind much too difficult and draining.  I see constant poverty and need of children and parents but less and less help available.  From my position as teacher I see homelessness, lack of food, mental illness, lack of medical care and imprisonment of a parent.  The above issues are daily and they trump the childs need to develop their reading, writing and math skills.  I am moving away from teaching because the heart ache and frustration of teaching is just too much to bare.  I am also away from my family so I am moving back to be a grandfather and father as well.  I DID NOT renew my teaching certificate in OR because I am done with teaching as my profession of choice.  TESTING, TESTING, TESTING instead of putting the needs of the child first is also a major consideration for leaving.  I just do not see us getting back to doing what is best for the child.

http://theimmoralminority.blogspot.com/2014/03/we-lose-yet-another-teacher.html

I am writing today to let you know that I am resigning my position as PreK and Kindergarten teacher in the Cambridge Public Schools. It is with deep sadness that I have reached this decision, as I have loved my job, my school community, and the families and amazing and dedicated faculty I have been connected with throughout the district for the past eighteen years. I have always seen myself as a public school teacher, and fully intended to work until retirement in the public school system. Further, I am the product of public schools, and my son attended Cambridge Public Schools from PreK through Grade 12. I am and always have been a firm believer in quality public education.

No comments: