Monday, March 7, 2011

Herbert Glacier, AK Video 1 (3/11)




This video was taken 3/5/11. I had to cross country ski 6 miles to get to the glacier. I then cross countried around the flats so I could get to where this picture was taken. I am not sure that the video made it onto the blog - so if there is no video, some technical glitch is taking place.

I was standing on ice which had been exposed to sun. That caused a black ice type condition. I fell 3 times on the ice - not fun.
It was about 20 degrees with a very slight wind. Walking out, I walked into a few 3, 4, and 5 feet snow drifts which were a pain to get out of. I have had kind of a soft 3 weeks because of blasting winds or rain, so I was testing myself to see what kind of condition I am in. I actually did better than I had anticipated. I am ready to do another trip after my aches leave me. We had a super sunny and 25 degree weekend which is perfect weather for Juneau. I like it

This glacier is also a place for wolves. I did not hear any but other have told me, if you want to hear wolves - go to Herbert Glacier.

No comments: