Saturday, November 7, 2009

Lightning, thunder and bike riding




I woke up to sun - that got me thinking of bike riding. When I finally got out the door, the wind was blowing and there were some clouds. I rode towards the sun. The sun disappeared as I rode.

12 miles later, I was riding some hills at Mt. Tabor Park when it started raining. (By the way, Mt. Tabor Park is the only park in the US with a dormant volcano core which is now a basketball court.) I went for a cup of coffee to wait out the rain. The rain increased. I decided to ride home and go the route with our light rail.

I got the OR rain, which is constant but not a downpour like AK. I got to about 5 miles from home and the train pulled up. I could have gotten on but figured I only have 5 miles to go and I wanted to complete the ride. The train left and the lightning and thunder started - with a downpour, AK like. I picked up the pace of riding and caught the train at the next stop but I was already soaking wet and decided to keep riding.

The rain did not ease up. I did get a call when I was within 2 miles asking if I wanted a ride. I was only 2 miles away and I was so soaked that I said I would ride.

I got home and was totally soaked. It did not help that I wore cotton shorts and sweats. I never do that when it rains - until today. Reminder: Wear rain stuff when riding in rain country in Nov!

It was actually kind of great riding in the thunder and lightning though.
Portland had a record amount of rain today 1.16 inches of rain.

No comments: