Monday, September 14, 2009

Alone but not lonely - Pole Creek, NV



I am in charge of Pole Creek Ranger Station until the freezes for me out. We don't want pipes to burst so it is closed up for the winter. I got their by traveling over 50 miles or so of dirt road - beautiful! I saw 3 vehicles along the route and got lost once. The sign had burned up so I went the wrong way. There was a 70,000 acre burn last fall. The views were unbelievable.

This morning, Tom and Judy left for the year, so it is just me at the compound. Tomorrow archeologists show up and Wed there is a wildlife biologist, so I had to go to Twin Falls, ID today to get supplies. I am in Twin and even got a hair cut while here. I have been bike riding daily - what a way to exercise.

I got up at 1 AM this past morning and went outside to a clear sky full of stars. It was 50 degrees out and the coyotes were howling. It was like a dream. There were no lights around the compound - just moon lit mountains. I went for a little hike and almost went for a bike ride but Tom and Judy were still there so I figured they would think I am crazy. I went back and went back to sleep.

It was sad to see Tom and Judy go. Pole Creek RS is beautiful because of them. They have spent 1/2 year for 6 years fixing it up. It looks as it did in 1930. I will get pictures up in time. They have medical appointments and my hope is that they can return and take care of the place next summer. Pole Creek is a tribute to these two wonderful people. I feel funny in closing out the year for them. They were sad to leave.

I have a friendly doe mule deer hanging around. People have told me they saw elk but I have not seen them. I saw about 100 buzzards on the trees overlooking the compound - maybe they think I am dieing. I got a picture but it is not downloaded onto the computer yet.

I will be off the computer until Thursday, Friday or Monday, depending on when I can get back to Twin falls, ID. I dropped off a chain saw and have to come back to pick it up all tuned up.

I feel like I am on top of the world. 8300 feet in altitude. I see over many mountains and valleys and it is just me - alone, most of the time. The alone part is kind of weird because as a teacher, I am/was constantly around people. This isolation is a new experience. Overall, I am pinching myself that I am off doing this adventure.

One last thing, my Chevy truck is perfect for these back roads. Traveling to Pole, I was on roads where 35 was fast. Much of the trip was at 5 to 10 MPH because of washouts, narrow roads and super big hills. The scenery was amazing though. I now have a Ford Truck to drive around and it sure rides stiff. I can let my pickup take a break and the Chev is a much smoother ride.

Hot Springs: 7 miles down a ravine, which you cannot even 4 wheel drive to, there is a hot springs with a tub. My plan is to hike down to it and fill it up and take a bath in the tub. There are also some great hikes into the wilderness area which is 1 mile away. I also have fence mending, painting, weed whacking and then shut down of Pole Creek. I then move to another location which is at a lower elevation and stay there to eventually close it up. Then I will look for a real job - until June 2010.

No comments: