Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pole Creek Ranger Station - heaven.

I just got back from a remote ranger station and it was so very spectacular. You travel down a paved road for 50 miles and then travel on a dirt road for 15 miles to get to the place. It is open fields with stands of timber in places. I camped out but I could have stayed in a bunkhouse.

I spent some time helping gather up downed limbs and put them on a huge fire pile. This morning it rained so we were able to set the pile on fire. Imagine a pile of dry wood as big as a 1000 square foot house and that being set on fire. It was mostly burned down within 40 minutes. We could do it because it was a rare rainy day.

I also helped to get fire wood to take back to Wells, NV. There had been a major forest fire in Pole Creek one year ago. People can cut dead trees for firewood. I was in heaven really. Cutting wood, helping around a remote camp. Mountain Biking down the dirt roads. 2 Grandkids as well as my son in law and daughter were there too. During the night a wind storm blew threw and that was neat. I walked out in an open field and watched the clouds and stars as the wind tried to pick me up. I put the tent under a covered area which was fortunate since the rain started about 6 AM.

No comments: