Friday, January 18, 2008

Really warms up Feb and March

I was talking to a native Emmonak lady and I asked her about the weather. She told me it really starts warmining up in February and March. She said it gets up to about 30 and will stay there for days.

We got another inch of snow yesterday. So far, when it warms up, it is caused by clouds coming in and then we also get snow. Snow is not a big deal though. Everything is white.

I walked a different route to my other school and I got caught in a snow drift. You can't tell how high the snow is until you are in the middle of it and sunk waist deep.

Houses and all buildings are elevated from the ground. Even the school is up about 3 feet off the ground. I was asking when the last flood occurred and told a couple of years ago. Evidently, when the ice breaks and water starts flowing, the ice can dam up and cause water to go everywhere. So, buildings need to be elevated to keep the water out from the spring floods caused by ice breaking.

I guess they had Eskimo dance practice last night. They are getting ready for the Potlatch which is occurring in Feb.

No comments: