Saturday, January 12, 2008

My first day in Emmonak

1/11/08 - I flew from Portland, OR to Anchorage. It took 3 1/2 hours for the trip. I got to Anchorage at 1 AM. I spent the night on a bench in the terminal. (No picture though) It was -1 at Anchorage. All of the streets are white with snow and ice.

1/12/08: Travel to Emmonak was interesting. I flew for 2 hours on a 2 prop jet that goes about 250 MPH. The whole time we were in the air, we were over snow capped mountains - they were everywhere. It really was awesome to see.

We landed in Emmonak and it was -25 degrees, THE COLDEST DAY OF THE YEAR. There was no wind though, so it wasn't too bad. Cold and crisp. Everything is white with snow and/or ice.
Emmonak is right on the Yukon River and the Yukon River is totally frozen! The river is used for transportation. In winter people use snow mobiles and 4 wheelers to travel around. In the summer, after the thaw, people use boats to go up and down the Yukon River. There can be great fishing on the Yukon or there can be almost no fish. Many of the people here make their living with fishing. There is also a boat building plant and a fish processing plant.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you arrived safely! Looking forward to hearing all about your Alaskan adventures! Stay warm.

Ashley said...

Sweet! I still want pictures! :-)

Anonymous said...

We love you, Pappi! Glad you made it safe to Emmonak.

Love,
Skyler and Alex

Anonymous said...

Is there anything we can send you?

Rich said...

I will wait until I ask for stuff.

Hi Maureen, I am told that some people here make baskets and carve from Ivory. You want to consider selling some stuff in your store?