Tuesday, January 15, 2008

DAY 2 of Teaching

I have some great kids to work with here at Emmonak. I had kids working steadily and trying hard - I am impressed. I have one boy who is trying to teach me the pronunciation of another local village. It is like Kuaukanauk, he laughs every time I say it. He says it and it sounds great, I butcher it. I am getting more used to the local dialect.

**

I forgot my hat this morning and I saw a father who was bringing his kids to school. My ears were frozen and I told him I forgot my hat. He laughed and said, "It isn't even cold yet."

The boys and basketball team go away to a tournament this weekend. They have to fly out to the other school for the weekend.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how far do you have to walk from your house to your school? Can you get some cross country skis? Sounds like you're enjoying your job and new home. Sent out of box of goodies for you yesterday. You don't have to wear the pink hat if you don't want to;)

Ashley said...

I think its a half of a mile, ma. I could be wrong though. What are you doing up so late anyways? Geeze! Cross country skis are a good idea, BTW!! I'm with mom on that one, dado.

Rich said...

It is only about 7 minutes walking. It is about 4 or 5 blocks. People here use snowmobiles and not cross country skis. One fellow has old skis but they are waxers.

What does BTW mean?

Ashley said...

BTW = by the way. If you're gunna be a blogger Dad, you MUST be down with the lingo!!!! :-)

Brianna said...

LMAO!!!

Rich said...

What is LMAQ?

Anonymous said...

Down with the lingo? Oh brother! I love having hip, wee little sisters. You keep us young - we elders!

Brianna said...

Laughing my "butt" off!

Sorry, dad. I couldn't resisting picking on my non-blogging lingo educated Pop!