Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Working at an abortion Clinic: The Reality: My Pro Choice Views were challenged but confirmed.

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/25/working_at_an_abortion_clinic_challenged_my_pro_choice_views_%E2%80%94_and_confirmed_them/?utm_source=nar.al&utm_medium=urlshortener&utm_campaign=FB

It was as a counselor that I really started to understand the bonds between all women. I saw so many different types of women, from teens to mothers of teens soon to leave the nest not wanting to start over with a new baby. Some women were in good relationships, some were not. Some weren’t involved with the father anymore at all. Some wore sweat pants, some seemed overdressed in cute outfits and strappy pumps. Some were in college, some were professionals, some could barely scrape up the money for the procedure. Some already had small children and couldn’t afford or cope with more. Some were using birth control, some were simply careless.
All of them had their reasons for not wanting to carry their pregnancy to term.
And there were some who never thought it would happen to them, like the one who sat across from me, her long blond hair pushed back with a hairband. Her eyes were curt as she tried to look everywhere but at me.
“I don’t even believe in abortion,” she finally told me. “I’m Catholic.”

No comments: