Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Ignorance and Apathy are guiding gun laws.

http://m.nwitimes.com/news/opinion/columnists/guest-commentary/young-voices-ignorance-apathy-are-steering-gun-control-efforts/article_4e0d44a8-23fa-5fca-8417-b48ecd4d2a8d.html?mobile_touch=true

School shootings are not like the flu. They aren’t spread from touch to touch. However, if you treat them as such, then you must educate and raise awareness -- as you would to battle the flu -- to abolish gun violence. Neither apathy nor ignorance will do.
I'm not here to preach to you about gun laws, and I'm not here to say you should have your firearms taken away. For argument's sake, that would be taking away your God-given right to bear arms. However, in my short time on this Earth, I’ve come to realize, as have many others, that there is no need for automatic weapons or guns with high capacity magazines to be readily available. In fact, I don’t think there should be any need for guns with military-like additions or high capacity clips in daily life.

What sickens me is the total lack of a solution being reached here. Whether Americans are in denial or treating this as the norm, it’s wrong. Mass shootings and school shootings can be stopped. However, until everyone wakes up, this will now be a valid fear of students all over the country.
My fears used to be failing a geometry test. Now I have to fear a fellow adolescent firing off a round between third and fourth period. There needs to be a solution.

No comments: