Monday, May 27, 2013

A Memorial Day Story: She paints the fallen

The Wall in WA DC.  It commemorates those who fell during Vietnam.  I had orders for Nam when I was in the Army.  Another soldier William Coon from Indiana also got orders.  I did not want to go and he was all for going to Nam.  He said he would switch orders with me if they cut down the troops being sent. (There had been rumors and there was massive protesting going on in the civilian world.)
As fate had it, my orders were cut and I was ordered to stay stateside.  Coon went to Nam.  I was in DC once and looked for his name on the wall, it was not there.  I am very thankful for the kind gesture of him taking my place.

I would also like to mention Roosevelt Barnett from Arkansas.  He had a wife and two babies.  I had a two bedroom trailer and I allowed Roosevelt and his wife and kids to stay in my place for two weeks so they could save money.  The landlord allowed and he was a retired army vet.  I forgot to mention that Roosevelt and his family were black.  I was in the South and there were no blacks in my trailer park.  Whites live that a way and Blacks live that a way.  It went from being one of the good old boys and great Southern Hospitality to a Black Lover.  The warm greetings from my neighbors ended.  When I was in DC, I looked for Roosevelt's name and it was not on the wall.

Thank You for those who died.  I think the current Iraq war is a waste and wish it were not a part of our lives.  Afghanistan was so poorly run because we took on two wars instead of dealing with one, that we are wasting lives, resources and causing a big hole in the average person's pocket book.

This link is a great story:  It is just appreciating those who are lost, without the political element.  It is worth watching.

http://www.upworthy.com/one-of-the-most-patriotic-things-ive-ever-seen-doesnt-involve-guns-god-or-glory-6?c=ufb1

No comments: