Monday, January 14, 2013

I feel so very fortunate

I got back to Alaska and went to the store in the car and it was running like crap.  I called my mechanic who is always backed up two weeks and asked when he could see my car.  He said tomorrow but then said today.  I took it in and it got a tune up and it is set to finish the work next Monday.  It helps that I taught his son and his son is doing well in middle school.  This dad had tried to keep his son back because he had made so much progress behaviorally and academically.  I promised him that he would do well but also told him that he had to be tough on the young man when he screws up.  One time of Saturday School and his son decided to be a reasonable person.  This young man came so very far in his accepting consequences over the 4 years I worked with him.  Over the years, I thanked this man for working with me on this young man.  He is now getting C's or higher in work required of all students, not a special program.

I got my car back and it works great.  I also like being able to go talk about the successes and positive changes made by his son.  I like to know my young charges have gone on to do well after they leave my school.  That is success.

It is nice to be able to get my car fixed so quickly too.


No comments: