Tuesday, December 18, 2012

He took off his hat! Success is the small things.

Yesterday was a HUGE SUCCESS!! A boy I work with has refused to take off his hoodie at school and was given an ultimatum last week to take the hoodie off or he will lose music and PE and have to call his parents and put his head down during the music and PE times.

His parents had said they would cut off the hoods of his hoodies if he does not. The parents also took him to a public gathering for Christmas and had him walk around for an hour with no hoodie on. he told me the next day,  I was in the public with my hat off and he was quite excited.  (At this time of tragedy in schools, we are cracking down on the hat/hood policy. )

At PE. he would not take his hoodie off and I was called.  We gave him 4 minutes and I went in to play hockey with the other students.  At 4 minutes he took it off and joined me.  He and I played field hockey. he then went to music with his hoodie off.

When his mom picked him up the first thing he said was: "Mom, I took my hood off and noone laughed at me!"

I cut my hair shorter than his last Thursday night.  Me and a fellow staff member with even shorter hair got the student and teased him about his long hair .

I am glad it went so well.

I also had a friend who has been fighting cancer for 12 years drop by to check in.  She looked so great. She now has hair after the Chemo took it away.  I am trying to talk her in to coming and helping kids at school.  She is thinking about it.

No comments: