Saturday, April 9, 2011

Mendenhall Glacier - No more walking out to it





Last weekend I went to the Glacier to check it out. No one was on the ice and I did not attempt it. It would have been my last opportunity to get out to the glacier. My going out to the glacier itself over frozen ice pack is done. We have two weeks of weather over freezing. A couple of days, there was ice on the windows and ice on mud puddles. The next time I get out to the glacier itself, it will be in a kayak.
February and March I had good access to the glacier.

1 comment:

Pvino said...

Rich,

My name is Phil, SoCal Yorba Linda,
your pictures are fantastic. Since my only trip and visit to Juneau in on Sept 13, 09 - I have been following the Mendenhall Glacier Center digi-came. Somehow the digi-cam had stopped back in fall of last year (Nov 2010) right after the first snow fall. I have not been able to record the Mendenhall glacier cyclic events, specially the snow fall, and greatly appreciate your picture log on the glacier. I have tried to talked the rangers and have had no response in repairing the camera.

Thank you so much for the wonderful and dramatic glacier pictures.

Phil