Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My old school caught fire!

I take a grandchild to throw rocks in the river and then come home. On the news is a school I taught at for 6 years. It is on fire. It was one of the oldest schools in Portland and it was made of wood.

All of the kids were taken out of the building and they went 4 blocks to a public library where the parents were asked to pick them up. I saw some old friends on TV talking about the fire.

We took that school from one of low performing to one recognized by the state for great improvement. We had a great principal who allowed us to try some pretty interesting stuff.

The school is 1/3 burnt but it is so old that I am guessing that it will be taken down.


So then: On the news, a fellow in Portland went into a business and kills his girlfriend. 2 others are shot as well. Crazy stuff!

UPDATE: LATER ON THE NEWS: I see a guy who just got 8 years in prison for being a peeping tom. Last week, I was at a birthday dinner for a son in law and his mom was talking about a peeping Tom being caught in her neighborhood. They had a neighborhood meeting at a home and the guy turned out to be the guy who lived in that home.

national news is nuts these days too.

Last year, in Juneau, I had no TV. I did not have much TV in Wells and Pole Creek. Is the world crazy or have I just been out of touch?

No comments: