Saturday, August 29, 2009

Mahoney - Active Blogging Again

I am planning on active blogging again. I just found my camera, so I can get pictures up. The pictures are so much less than what I really experience is the only thing.

Mahoney Guard Station: I spent over 2 days at Mahoney Guard Station in Nevada. IT WAS AMAZING! It is in a town of less than 100 people and most people ride around in ATV's.

I was asked to ride an ATV and help GPS roads for a new map. I saw deer, 5 mines, trees and unbelievable views. We were mostly above 5000 feet and even got to 9000 feet. There is an old mine at 9000 feet and we had to check the road in to it. There was a bridge up but in poor shape and we made it across to explore.

I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO STAY AT A REMOTE RANGER STATION NEXT SPRING AND SUMMER. I told them to pencil my name in.

We also found a memorial someone had made for 5 people. There were huge metal crosses with the peoples names on them. They also have plastic flowers and beer cans, whiskey bottles scattered around, a dog tag and a roll of barbed wire too. it is illegal so people are going to figure out how to contact relatives and tell them to take it down or it will be taken down. The view of the memorial area is spectacular though. If my ashes got quietly scattered in a place like that, I would not object..

I found my camera this AM, so I will start putting pictures up. Honestly, I have been a bit overwhelmed by the beauty of the places I have seen. I have been soaking it in like a sponge - there comes a time to share. I have had some amazing experiences.

I locked myself out of the cabin at 4 AM and had to wake people up inside to let me back in - oops. Not a good thing. I went out to use an outhouse and to see the stars. There were no clouds. we had a bathroom inside and they thought I was an idiot for going out to use and outhouse when there is a good flush toilet inside.

Mahoney was a blast.

No comments: