Monday, August 31, 2009

Going to stay at Ruby Ranger



I got approval to get some equipment and go stay at the Ruby Ranger Station. I will take a lawn monster and weed whacker with a metal blade to start for weed control. I will also take a chain saw because there are some dead trees which must come down. One dead tree is hanging over the outhouse - what a way to die. Sitting on the outhouse hole and wham a monster tree takes you out. (Note: I did see a dead guy being taken out of an outhouse once when I was rafting.)

The place is right up to a wilderness area so they want me to hike the trails too. I will certainly volunteer for that. I am putting in for a few jobs but I did not work as hard on my resume as I normally do. I am kind of hoping I get passed over so I can act like mountain man for a while. By the way, the Ruby Mountains are very spectacular. Unlike the mountains covered with trees that I am used to really. They are solid rock, with some dirt and patches of bushes and/or trees.

I need to run to Portland for a physical and check up with the dentist too. I will also pick up my sprayer because now we want to paint this house. I also have a larger ladder which we will need to paint this place in Wells.

Kind of excited about the Remote Ranger Station. No internet or cell phone or phone coverage there.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Rich, it sounds so adventurous!! I really envy you and that freedom you will have. So the Ranger Station is on Oregon correct? I can't wait to see some of the pictures you will be able to get there. Enjoy every minute of it!

Rich said...

Kim, It is Nevada between Elko and Wells. I am almost loaded up and heading out. I just have to load up the chain saw and stop at the store for food. I will stay for 1 or 2 nights. it is at the Ruby Mountain Wilderness area. The Ruby mountains are spectacular. I like this area because it is so different than what I am used to. There are also not a lot of people. Heading out - bye.