Saturday, May 30, 2009

More Perseverence, leaving next Sunday





I have booked the slow boat out of Juneau. I take off Sunday 5/7/09 in the evening. I will get on a ferry and travel for about 2 days to Canada. I will get off and then drive around Canada a bit and then go to Northern Washington State to visit folks and head towards Portland, OR. I went for a hike this AM and it is a bit weird knowing that I am leaving Juneau. I drove for 10 min to get to my hike, can't do that in many places. I am excited to get on the road. I will miss a lot here.

Weather: 3 days of rain but they say we have 75 to 80 degree days starting Monday. My School has many outdoor activities so we are pleased to see good weather. We had Kindergarten Classes go to the beach, Outer Point, for Sea Week yesterday and it rained all day. The kids had a great time but they got soaked. The fifth graders hiked into Mendenhall Glacier and the 5th graders put lipstick on and kiss the glacier. They got rained on too. Kissing a glacier is a tradition for 5th graders.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I hope your aware as of June 1st you need a passport or an enhanced drivers license to get from Canada to Washington or you will have quite a delay..so hope you have one of these documents..Love your latest pics

Rich said...

I have a passport and my driver's license might be enhanced too. I am ready for the trip. I just have to work my butt off this week to finish up paperwork, deal with students, wash clothes and pack. Ready or not, I will be on a ferry for a 2 day trip.