Saturday, November 29, 2008

Teaching Story 2

Names have been changed.
I taught a 2nd boy who was always fighting and getting into trouble. His name was Chance Johnny _______. He could not read and had no friends. He lived in a foster home with his sister. The Foster family were 2 nuns. The Nums and I decided to take a hard stand with him. I asked why he was named Chance? His mom named him that because. "You don't have a fu--ing chance in this world." I started calling him Johnny after hearing that. When he felt like fighting, I made him run laps. He became a good runner. I also made him come off running and read. He learned to read too.

I was at my daughter's college graduation and one of the Nums saw me. Johnny was at the same ceremony because his sibling just graduated. Johnny was to get out of the army in 3 months and he was planning on college. It was great to see him and talk about his past and future. His buddies still call him Chance.

The nuns kept both kids through their schooling and beyond. I believe those two women saved those two kids. They are heroes. They had only planned on having the kids for a year, to stabilize them after the chaos of abuse, alcohol and drugs from bio mom.

No comments: