Saturday, May 17, 2008

boarded up



I walked to the river this AM and the river level is up substantially. The ice still seems solid but the water level has gone up by at least 4 or 5 feet. I saw a snowmobile splash the water and get onto the ice then take off to Alukanuk.

The ice break up is still a hundred miles or so away. Still hoping to see it by the time I leave. It does not look promising.

Boarded Up House: It is so weird being inside and hearing the kids outside. They were talking, yelling and laughing until 4 AM behind my place. I happen to live at the gathering place for kids.
I talked to the VPO (Village Police Officer) a few days ago and asked how it was working the 11:00 PM to 8:00 AM shift. He said it is crazy. Kids are running around and doing stuff and then play hide from the police.

1 comment:

Lisa B said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. You have some great images of your time in Alaska, it definitely sounds an experience.