Friday, March 28, 2008

Emmonak Fish

I just talked to a fisherman and he filled me in on the Salmon which run on the Yukon River here in Emmonak. These fish are some of the fattest fish in the world. Some have 30% fat on them and here is why. I am about 7 miles from Bristol Bay. The Yukon River is over 2000 miles long and ends up in Canada. These fish start out here in Emo but end up 2000 miles up river. They do not eat once they get in the Yukon so they make the run on body fat alone.

The Emo fish have more body fat than the Copper River Fish that you hear about. The Yukon Fish are also stronger than Copper River fish too. Marketing, Copper River ice breaks sooner than the Yukon so the fish start running sooner. The Copper River is not nearly as long either Also, on the Yukon, they let the first run or two go through before nets can be put out. They want to let the first fish go upriver and make it all the way to Canada.

The story I was told is that Emmonak (Yukon) River fish are much better than Copper River fish or any other fish. I eat some every other week or so and I must say that they are good. Last weekend, at the Potluck, I had some smoked salmon made by my Yupik guests and it was very greasy. I asked why it was so greasy and was told that it is just natural juices from the fish. It was good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are just learning all kinds of things from the Eskimos, I'm glad your such a curious George since you answer all my questions on how these people live and their traditions, another weekend for more adventures. it snowed really hard for about an hour in downtown Seattle yesterday, nothing stuck to the ground, but it was absolutely quiet with no ground noise, it was something to see and hear for yourself.

Ashley said...

Yummy, salmon!