Thursday, September 10, 2009

Remote Ranger Station - just me and isolation




This is pretty weird. 2 days from now, I will travel to a remote ranger station and take it over. I will take care 7 historical buildings and mountain bike and hike.

I will also help any hunters or campers that happen by. Last weekend, there were about 5 people that dropped by the compound. I might also have some Forest Service Employees drop by to work. They can even spend the night in the bunk house. I sleep in either the Ranger House or the Office house or camp. I have been there 5 nights this summer and have always tented. It is now getting colder, so I will probably stay in a house. I do hope to get up in the middle of the night to see the stars because it is such a wide open sky. We have few clouds so there are an amazing amount of stars. I was shown a path last weekend that goes right through an Aspen Grove. The changing of seasons should be spectacular with the leaves changing colors.

I am quite thrilled at the opportunity but it is really weird. Even when I was in the Yupik Village at 20 below zero, I was at school and had people around most of the time.

I will decide what I work on each day and decide if and when I take a hike or bike ride. I am at 8000 feet so exercise is more work than normal. It is also very dry and I find the roads are slippery for a mountain bike. I fell on the bike 2 times last weekend. The tire got stuck in loose rock and I lost control and fell - ouch.

I will have no internet so I will only post once or twice a week. It will be whenever I get to Twin Falls, Idaho (grocery store) Jackpot, NV or Wells, NV when I can get on the internet. I am hoping I can get internet in Jackpot - that is the closest place.

No comments: