Monday, September 28, 2009

18 elk



If you look closely, you will see 18 elk. I saw 6 at this spot a few days before and thought I would go there again. I parked the truck a long way back and walked in. A cow elk peeked her head over the hill and saw me. As soon as she saw me, they took off. There was one BIG BULL with the herd. He followed behind the herd. It was an awesome sight. They sure are pretty animals, and big too.

I walked down to where they had spent the night and there is water and trees. It looks like they are there at night and leave during the day. A fellow told me he saw 100 elk in this creek basin. He also showed me a picture of a wolf around here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful sight! -Laura

Rich said...

Hi Laura,

Elk season started today so these animals are running for their lives.

They are magnificent animals. I almost snuck up on them but one cow looked over the hill and peeked a look at me and they all took off.

I am leaving Pole Creek in a day or two.