Sunday, September 27, 2009

Dumb People


I saw a man and a boy on a motorcyle along with a mom and 2 year old on a ATV (4 wheeler) I was on a different road so I waved and thought they are camping and having a nice weekend. I figured I would see them at some camp site.

Two archeologists came into the Ranger Station a couple of hours later and asked me if I saw the people on the 4 wheeler and motorcycles. They talked to them and they have traveled 50 miles without extra gas or even food. They said they were heading back to the road when the archeologists last saw them.

What were they thinking.

(I will admit to having taken my daughter up a logging road and had snow past the bumper. I did not have snow gear for her or chains or even a shovel - that happened one time.) I am not totally innocent on the stupid meter.

I almost had a search crew sent out to find me because I was not at the Ranger Station when 2 people showed up. I was told they might show up but if they didn't, they would stay 40 miles from where I am stationed. At 5:30, I went to check out elk and let the station. I was hiking, reading and listening and looking for elk - saw nothing. I went back to the ranger station at 8 PM and they had called dispatch. A ranger was called and a lot of phone calls made. I drove up a few minutes after the phone calls started. The fellows got to the station at 9 PM. i think they just wanted to have the generator on and I was the only person who could do that so they called. It was no big deal really - just another thing to think about. Next time, I will do a better sign out so people will know that I am just goofing off but OK.

I thought about camping out at the elk site actually. Had I done that, then it would have been a mess. I might camp out there next week but I am told that snow may come next week. If I do, I will sign out saying where I am and how to find me.

No comments: