Friday, December 7, 2012

He played the Guitar!!

I have a boy in my program that FINALLY played the guitar at our school's Friday Sing a Long IN FRONT OF HIS PARENTS!!  What is interesting is that this boy, who is new to our school this year, about 7 weeks ago quietly got a guitar out of my room and played the guitar in the back of the commons but not with the players.  At our school, any child grade 3 or up can pick up a guitar and join in the sing along.  Me and others, encouraged him to join the group.  About 4 weeks ago, he joined the guitar players right up front.  I told his mom and she came a week ago.  He got the guitar, saw his mom and walked back to my room and put the guitar away.  His mom talked to him and made him pinky swear that he would play this week.  He played the guitar and was so very proud of himself afterward, and his parents were so very proud too.  It is a small thing but a major move for this child who is just starting to move academically and who today, has control over his behavior.  There are many stories like this, which keep me teaching.  But then, I had two kids in trouble today, which makes my day interesting as well.