Sunday, May 20, 2012

I hiked up to Mendenhall Glacier. I was climbing a rock wall and a Mountain Goat was about 25 feet away. I took his picture. I then hiked to the Glacier and saw 3 rock climbers. I was on the Glacier but it was raining slightly and I just had hiking boots and not crampons or ice axe so I hiked up to where I last saw the mtn goat. I walked around a rock and he was 20 yards away - staring at me. I took a few more pictures. The Glacier is beautiful. The middle of the glacier is crumbling. There is a picture of an ice cave. I believe there was a big one in the middle but it caved in and flattened the glacier in the middle. That is speculation from what I saw. There used to be enormous ice caves where I was hiking but it is now just rock. Watching the ice climbers makes me think I need to buy some crampons and an ice axe or two. Great day to hike - light rain only. The last picture was fresh bear poop. I did not see the bear. I saw where it was digging up ground looking for roots and grubs though.

No comments: