Sunday, February 10, 2008

Me, at school



We had a dress up day and here I am, dressed up a bit.

This past Friday, I went to a potlatch and watched Eskimo dancing. It was a big deal.
The women danced in native clothes and men danced and drummed drums. The community center was packed. There were at last 100 snow machines outside the center. May people from town 5 miles away, Alukanuk, came too. It lasted past midnight and then the visitors had to snow machine hoe - at 30 below, in the dark. I did not take any pictures though. I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW GREAT THE FUR CLOTHES ARE THAT THE NATIVES MAKE AND WEAR HERE! Hand made, beautiful and warm! There was a seal skin jacket that was amazing looking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You don't have to tell me how awesome the clothes are. I've been wearing comfy seal and beaver slippers all day... regardless of the fact that it was nearly 80 degrees here today. My feet did get a bit hot. Thanks Dad and Ash.