Saturday, August 22, 2015

Dry Village means NO Alcohol - They are serious. Photo of the Plane House

I am living in a Dry Village.  That means NO alcohol allowed - Period.  When I signed on to the job, all the paperwork was solid NO Alcohol.  I have a drink a week, a month or every other month maybe so it was really not a concern for me.

I have a para who works with me and he and I have to change stinky diapers for a boy who is not potty trained.  Needless to say, it can be a messy job.  This past week we had a major blow out on Monday.  My para was ready to quit.  (I have told my bosses that if they can get someone to replace me, I would go back to Portland at any time. They have said I am here for the year.)

My para did stay for the week.  Tuesday through Friday we just had minor poop in the diaper.  It was not horrible.  One goal is to get him potty trained.  The problem in the past is that Para's quit because of messy diapers and giving the boy showers.

We are trying to get another Para as backup just in case.  It is hard to find someone to do the job and when we find someone, they have a criminal record.  One person who has done the job well in the past cannot be hired because of alcohol.

He went to the Post Office to pick up alcohol that was sent to the village and was arrested.  He had to spend time in jail for his crime.  Because of that act, he cannot be hired by the school district.

My para said he will be back next week and he is great with the student.  I am hoping he will continue working in this position.  This para graduated from HS here and went to the vocational school in Barrow to become a mechanic.  He started drinking there and was kicked out of the school but the police were not involved so he can work for the district.  He also has a $20,000 education bill to pay off the the Schooling which he did not attend.

Alcohol creates problems in the village which can impact a person for 5 to 7 years after a foolish action.
The picture is of an unusual house here.  A story is that a plane crashed near here and they scrapped it.  A guy bought it for a few hundred bucks and moved it into town and lives in it.  The other story is that it landed at our airport but the runway is too short for it to take off and it was scrapped and sold.
It is very unusual to see it as I walk around the village.

No comments: