Thursday, August 27, 2015

A cold wind is blowing and the birds are flying south.

I think winter is coming to Northern Alaska.  Yesterday, we started getting a cold wind blowing.  It was pretty dramatic.  I had been wearing my wind breaker and school clothes and I suddenly realized that I had to wear a bigger jacket.  Today, I am wearing my heavier rain jacket to keep the wind out a bit better.  I have found that layering of clothes and having the right jacket makes a major difference in dealing with cold weather.  I have a great down jacket which I wear during the real cold and it is sitting waiting to be worn.  I did not wear it at all last winter in Oregon.

The birds are starting to fly south.  I saw a flock of birds heading South yesterday.  They too seem to know that the cold is coming in.

The gym roof did not leak yesterday.  The crew was able to get additional materials on the roof and stop the dripping.  If the gym is wet, they cannot use the gym in the evening.  The gym is always in use in the evening.  Kids and adults show up to play.  Kids are also on the playground until the late hours.  I was out at 10 PM Sunday and the playground was filled with kids of all ages playing outside.  Because it is light outside, no outdoor lighting is needed.

No comments: