Saturday, June 27, 2015

Taking a vacation - then back to work.

I have not worked (volunteered quite a bit) since June of 2014.

I start back to work in a remote village in Alaska on June 30, 2015.  I fly from Oregon to Barrow, AK on July 29.

In a village, there is no driving of a car.  So, I like to take a long winding trip before I start the village adventure.  I take off some time today with some general destinations in my mind,  I spend the time getting used to being alone.  I will be going to the Pole Creek area of Nevada and then wander around before I get on a train back to Portland.

I also have to spend a day or two in a hotel to work on my paperwork for Alaska.  I have been putting it off.  There is not a lot of comparisons to city living to village living.  I will be among people I do not know.  I will be a minority.  I will be seen as wealthy.  In Emmonak, AK, when I was there, I found out that I lived in luxury which only a few in the village knew.  I had hot water on demand, shower, indoor toilet, unlimited heat (a biggie at 30 below) and a washer and dryer.  It was toward the end of my stay at Emo that I found out that most people don't have indoor plumbing.

Before I move on to village living, I am just taking out to drive, see and prepare for the time away.

What do I pack, go buy food and box it up and send it off.

I am amazed at how quickly this summer is passing.

I am meeting folks for the 4th of July in the desert.

Wishing you well.

PS:  Once I get to the village, there will be regular, (maybe daily) pictures and stories of my village experience.

No comments: