Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Real Teaching is leaving the schools. Some teachers say goodbye.

I agree with her.  So much time is testing and preparing for testing that a lot of creative teaching is not possible at this day and age.  I am glad that I can leave teaching at any time I wish.  I am not pleased with the changes and the lack of funding which is impacting schools.  The evaluating teachers based on test scores is crazy.  Test scores correlate highly with income.  I teach in a school that has wealthy families, I have high test scores.  I move to a low income area and the scores struggle, at best.  The wealthy school also can fund raise and get extra money while the poor school has to struggle and beg for funds.

Once upon a time, public schools represented what was best about our democracy. Now, under the guise of "reform," the art of teaching has been dismissed and the emphasis is on mechanized testing (which, not incidentally, is making a lot of people very, very rich). This Illinois teacher posted this viral video last week after finding out she was being moved to a different school against her will --- in retaliation, she says, for sticking up for her kids:

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/teacher-speaks-out-about-erosion-real

No comments: