Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Glacier and the arctic are shrinking - fast!!

I went to a presentation of 17 college students who spent 5 weeks studying Mendenhall Glacier this past summer.  It was interesting.  They had a variety of studies to do.  The meeting I went to was just a couple of days off the ice and they were presenting their initial results.

This past year was a good year for snow, better than recent years.  There are actually about 50 glaciers on the Glacial field.  One glacier is expanding - the one by the water.  All of the others are retracting at an amazing rate.  (I just read a report of how dramatic the ice reductions are in the Arctic and Greenland.)  I was so pleased to see they are sending teams of young scientists to study the glacier.  The glacier is up to 2000 feet in spots and many others are hundreds of feet think.

It was interesting to see the pictures and sort out the flow of ice based on the pictures.  If they are in an open area, it is free flow.  Then it goes against rocks and has to push through a canyon and the ice flow changes. I found it very interesting.

Pictures:  Here are pictures of my Perseverence Hike.  I did it again this week as well as last week.  The weather was better last week for that hike.  Today it was cloudy and it started to rain as soon when I got back to the car.




No comments: