Sunday, March 27, 2011

3/27/11 - Mendenhall Glacier





I probably made my last hike out on the ice at Mendenhall Glacier for this winter. It was 45 degrees and straight sun. The ice is rising because the streams are running pretty good now because of the melting. The increased water causes the ice to rise and the cracks in the ice are noticable. I made it very far in and even saw a huge rock, VW size, break out of the ice and crash down a the big glacier. It was noisy and threw up a lot of ice. I was pretty far away. I was one of only two people who made it in all the way. Most people went into the ice bergs and went back. One boot fell through the ice into about 9 inches of water. The boots are 14 inch tall boots so no problem. Funny thing is, It was in an area where I thought I was safe. I had been in some places where I thought I was pushing it but no problem there. I was able to climb up a couple of ice bergs too. They are generally straight ice and super slick. Now, with warm weather, the ice bergs have a bit of grip to the surface so I could climb up and felt pretty safe.
Winter is basically over - my trips to Mendenhall Glacier over ice may well be over for this winter.

No comments: