Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mendenhall GLacier - ice is back, after the rains.





I went into Mendenhall Lake and to the Glacier after the water refroze. Here are some pictures of my trip. The ice was quite slick and I dropped the camera once. We got 2 inches of snow last night but it has been raining all day. I will probably not be able to get into the glacier until another freezing of water takes place. It has been a very warm winter, with rain instead of snow. Whenever I go out onto the ice and to the glacier, I hear calving and ice crashing taking place. The ice caves fell in on themselves. It can be awesome and even scary to hear a chunk of ice fall. It was not like that two years ago, when I was on the glacier. Today, they are having 1 and 2 feet of ice on the east coast as well as ice and snow in the south. I see the impacts of warming on our environment every time I go out to Mendenhall Glacier.
Those are ice climbers I saw while at the Glacier. They were climbing at night, using head lamps as I was running around the glacier.

No comments: