Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Death Valley - Sunset / Sunrise

Stars: You can see forever at night. There are few clouds so you just see stars - everywhere. You turn out the lights and the sky lights up. Amazing!

The Sunrise pictures were taken on a ridge above the camp site. I wake up in the morning when it is dark and start hiking until the sun comes up. I find a rock with my name on it and I sit there, listen to the quiet and take pictures. I am also scouting out a path to take the kids later in the day.

The first day we got to camp and we were the only ones in the canyon - we saw 4 Big Horn Sheep. They came down within 100 yards of our camp. I probably have a picture of them actually - forgot that. They came down, looked us over and we did not see them again. I feel privileged for seeing them. We also saw a skinny coyote by the airport.

Isolation: There were a lot of cars and motorcycles on the road but once we got in the back country - it was away from everyone. Such a pleasure.

We eat well on camping trips. No camp fires are allowed but a propane stove can cook some pretty simple, yet amazing meals. Food tastes better when you are camping.

No comments: