Saturday, November 28, 2009

Mom: I saw you smile today



i rode my bike 20 miles up Angel Lake road, with about 10 miles uphill total. I even went over 'the monster' which is a hill that increases dramatically in elevation after you have gone 3 or 4 miles of steady uphill. I do not like that hill. I was going to take 'the monster' my first day back, but it had snow covering it, so I was saved.

I made it up to the top and did it ok, my body was working with me today. As I got to the top, the cold wind started kicking up like it did not want me to make it over the hill. I made it and I looked at the mountains and I swear i saw my mom's shit eating grin smiling at me. (She passed away a few years ago.)

Her last few months on this earth: I drove 100 miles every 3 weeks or so to see her in a nursing home. I would take time to bike ride, kayak or scuba dive before I saw her. (I would scuba dive with my nephew Mike, now deceased.)

She would have this shit eating grin on when I came in and she only wanted to know about what adventure I had done. She wanted to hear about the kids too, but she was very intent on listening to what dumb thing I had tried. She liked me to do things even though she could never undsrstand why I would enjoy such things.

Making it over the top of this pass on a bike was a birthday present to myself. My mom liked to share in my stupid little stunts and I kind of felt she was there today.

FUTURE: I was thinking about cross country skiing around Crater Lake in Oregon. I have done about 5 miles before but it would be great to do the whole 20 miles. Kicking out this bike ride tells me I have the stamina.

So, If I do not get a teaching job in Nevada. I might hang out in Southern OR for a few days.

That wind can be cold around here. brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I guess I am and always was a momma's boy. Thanks mom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was very beautiful, you experience. Thank you for sharing it with us. I remember when you and Uncle Mike would scuba dive. He always brought me starfish from Commencement Bay here in Tacoma and dried them out on the rocks. I feel bad now for the starfish that died, but it was a lovely thought.

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.