Friday, October 9, 2009

The Real World-Yikes!




One week ago, I was 80 miles from a small town and had to drive 15 miles on a dirt road to get home. I would see elk and deer as well as a lot of antelope - few people. When I left, I saw a lot of animals - like they were saying good bye. I would wake up in the middle of the night in Pole Creek to see if the temperature had dropped. I shut down the Ranger Station because we were getting 18 degree nights and we did not need broken water pipes. When I walked the streets of Las Vegas at night, I saw drunks being held up by other drunks - not like Pole Creek.

I went to Las Vegas and hung out with a brother and sister and talked to the LV school district about jobs. It was great seeing my siblings. There are jobs available if I do some paperwork. The cost of living in LV is reasonble, they got hit hard by the recession.

I am now in San Francisco. It is also a busy place. I do like it as a tourist. I did a lot of hanging onto cable cars and hiking the hills. It is a beautiful city. It is also expensive. I had a job interview but cancelled it because they could not pay me enough to make it financially reasonable for me. I cancelled because I knew that if I went and saw the school, kids, staff and talked program: I would be tempted to take it.

I will be a tourist one more day and then head back to Portland. I am excited to see my kids and grandkids.

THANKS TO THE OFFICER THAT GAVE ME A WARNING: In Nevada, I got a warning to stop traveling at 85. I am driving a borrowed small truck that has a non working speedometer. (I left my truck in Wells because it is a 3/4 ton and they need it for getting wood and house remodeling supplies.) I was driving and following motorcycles and the officer turned on his lights and did a u-turn. I pulled over and the motorcyles kept going. The officer and I talked about my going to LV, San Fran and heading home, remodeling in Wells, elk in NV and on and on - he thankfully gave me a warning. I started following campers and cars after this incident.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Glad you only got a warning. I would die if my speedometer was broken as I often catch myself at 80-85 and slow wayyyyyy down. I have a led foot!

Good luck w/ your job interviews. I know one day I will be headed west to live but of all places it wouldn't be CA, unless the mountains of course. Too expensive and too many people for me! I like the secluded life too much

Rich said...

I keep thinking that one of these years I will check out the east coast.

Who knows where I will end up. I am liking thinking about the various places though.

CA is a good place to visit but I question whether I want to live here.