Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Amazing!

I was at a remote Forest Service Guard Station camping last night - it was a truly amazing place. We traveled down a 2 60 miles and then down a country road for 40 miles and then 20 miles on a dirt road. The climb up the dirt road was up all the way. When we finally got 15 miles up the dirt road, we saw Southern Idaho and Northern Nevada - It was an amazing sight. We went the last 4 or 5 miles and saw some trees. Right among the trees was the Ranger Station, built about 1930. It consisted of about 5 or 6 buildings. A volunteer couple have lived there for 4 years and getting the place back into the glory days. It was a truly remarkable day, evening, and much of today.

I helped cook for about 25 people. We cooked Top Sirloin Steak, Salmon and Chicken Breast - barbequed all of it, on charcoal.

I heard coyotes howling as I went to sleep last night. I camped out in the middle of a field and woke up this AM and looked out to mountains and just a few people. It was so quiet, peaceful and beautiful too. We were so high up that we could see a vehicle coming up the road when they were about 4 or 5 miles away. We just watched for the dust plume.

NO Pictures though. Before we left for camping, I had to get on the roof and get all of the tools down. When I got done with that, it was time to finish loading and leave - forgot the camera.

I was invited back so I am planning on camping out there when I leave Wells in a few weeks. I will get pictures then.

No comments: