Sunday, May 31, 2009

Juneau, Mendenhall Glacier, ice bergs



One picture is of downtown Juneau with a ship coming in to visit. We have had 3 to 5 ships per day this past week. That means lots of tourists around. The picture was taken up the hill by lots of housing. I hear driving up and down these hills with the snow and ice is exciting. We have a lot of dented up cars in Juneau - winter ice victims.

Mendenhall Glacier today had a lot of ice bergs floating away from the glacier. The wind blows them into the lake and eventually down the river. There are some big chunks of ice. The light blue areas are where they had been. I skied out to them just about a 5 or 6 weeks ago. It seems like it was such a short time ago now. It was at least 70 degrees today - beautiful!!!!!!!! I did 2 hikes. I at Mendenhall in the morning and Perseverence. I tried to hike up Mt. Juneau but the snow stopped me - that is straight up hill by the way. My legs are now telling me how stupid I was to try that up hill stunt.

I LEAVE ONE WEEK FROM TODAY! As I write this, 8:30 PM, on Sunday; a week from now, I will be in line to get on the ferry to Prince Rupert, BC. That is about a 2 day ferry trip. I will then drive 1200 miles through BC and then to Seattle and Portland. I have lots of work to do this week and then pack, etc. Makes me tired just thinking about it. I am excited to be on the road though. I am driving 'the beast,' a 99 Chev 3/4 ton truck. It only has 37,000 miles on it. It also has a crane - such a deal. if you have a large load of groceries - I have the crane to help lift them up. I am writing more because - video takes a log time to load onto the blog. As I am waiting for the video to upload - I am writing and writing more because it is still rendering.
It finished rendering - bye.

1 comment:

Julie said...

woohoo, time flies when we're having fun.....have a wonderful adventure, be safe