Saturday, April 4, 2009

Snowed all morning, rain aft




We had snow in the morning while I cross countried into Mendenhall Glacier. The conditions were excellent. It froze hard and we had about 2 inches of new snow over the ice. The sun was trying to come through but not quite. The snow on Mendenhall is melting so we are seeing more ice and rocks. There are huge rocks picked up by the glacier. I took over 500 pictures and filled my memory card before I made it to the ice caves. I am thinking my days on Mendenhall lake are coming to an end so shoot pictures when I can. I was also the only one on the lake so I had undisturbed snow. I explored more area than normal because the conditions were so good.

That blue glow from inside the ice was glowing. It is pretty amazing to see. It is like there is a light inside which glows blue. Very unique.

I also went down the ski slope a couple of runs. I got there in the afternoon so there were some pretty good lines. Just took 2 runs and left. I was reminded not to break a leg before the wedding on Friday.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Rich, what wonderful photos!! Its like natures own snow sculptures.

It sounds like you had a good day.