Thursday, March 26, 2009

shorts time? Exxon-Valdez



38 degrees, winds blowing 40 MPH, rain/snow mix coming at me sideways - that is Juneau weather today. So, I see 5 people in shorts and T-shirts walking through town trying to make it look like spring. We got 2 inches of snow.

I was out at Mendenhall Glacier yesterday and noticed someone put a peace sign in the snow.

Mt Redoubt is erupting. 9 miles from Redoubt are 9 Million gallons of crude in tanks on the Drift River. Redoubt is causing mud flows. The mudflows are going into the River. 9 MILLION GALLONS OF CRUDE OIL are now surrounded by Mud. If the oil should get to the tanks, it would be a worse environmental disaster than the Exxon-Valdez. All personnel have been taken out of the tanker farm for safety. There was another big mud flow today on the Drift River. They have no cameras or remote monitoring
equipment at the tanks.

1 comment:

Kim said...

OMG Rich!! I did not hear this today!! How terrible. I will be crossing my fingers that this doesn't happen. It would be DEVASTATING!

Cool peace sign in the snow.