Monday, January 12, 2009

Power Lines taken out with Avalanche




Juneau Power Lines are taken out by an Avalanche! The power now gone is from hydro elecric sources - cheap power. Juneau is now running on Diesel generator power- EXPENSIVE STUFF! Last year it happened and power bills went from $200.00 - $300.00 per month to $700.00 to $1000.00 per month! Big hike.

More snow last night(8 inches): It was heavy, rainy snow and that on top of the many feet of powder caused the landslides. Teachers were talking about hearing the avalanches. They heard some big ones, I was told. My school lost power for about an hour when the power to Juneau was taken out. After an hour, we were on generators and school got going again. NOTE; In the village, last year, we only had diesel electrical generators.
Snow sure looks pretty though! I took these pictures while cross country skiing.

2 comments:

Kim said...

That's terrible!! At least you got to snow shoe though. I love the pictures, they are so peaceful looking.

Rich said...

This latest batch of snow is the worst. It is wet, cold, heavy - bad news snow. It sure can do some damage quickly. We now have slush everywhere. Driving is hard, water is pooled everywhere.

Getting out in the snow was great! I wish I were able to do more but I was too busy shoveling snow.