Sunday, November 16, 2008

SUNSHINE ALL DAY - 11/16/08



We had sunshine on Sunday, Nov 16, 2008. I took a drive to take pictures. I went to Mendenhall Glacier and it was absolutely beautiful. Some more ice broke into the lake so there is fresh blue ice to see. The lake is lightly frozen. I also met the fellow who drove my pickup truck today. He told me he liked my truck. I bought a used forest Service truck which was for sell in Juneau.

I drove down the road to nowhere and hiked as well as taking this picture. On the way back, the moisture on the road froze and turned to black ice. Two vehicles went off the road. One was upside down and the other went into the trees. I made it with no problem.
The police and tow truck were helping the vehicle who went off the road.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like Shaman Island in the background at high tide?

Was in almost every spot you've shown pictures of back in June.

I miss it very, very much. Closest I've ever been to the maker.

McK
LaGrange Ky

Anonymous said...

As you've probably figured, my trip there was via a cruise ship. As for the rain we had none. At every port we were dry with part sun. Very lucky!

In Juneau I spent time in town trying to get the flavor by visiting all the museums. I did go to the rain forest and on a whale watch. Had an Orka from a pod come up alongside the boat not 5 foot from it. It rolled over on its back and looked as if he was waving at us. Showed no fear at all. The guide said that was a first for her and was very unusual.

The other great thing is we arrived on the day the potlatch was being celebrated in town. It just dosen't get any better than that!

A friend of ours grew up there and said we'd be in awe of it. She was very correct!

Oh, I voted for Obama but here in Kentucky that makes me a minority. Lets just hope he's for the people and not for the corporations. I'm sick of this two party system. Would have voted for an Independent but we had to get rid of the disease in this election.

McK
LaGrange, Ky

Rich said...

I am new to Alaska. In a village from Jan to June and have been in Juneau since August.

I went to Potlatches in the village. They are a truly amazing experience. We are a rain forest and it is so green and lush.

We have not had a cruise ship for a month now and Juneau is a totally different place. The shops by the docks are empty and the downtown streets are small town quiet. It is getting dark at 3:30.

I like Juneau. I am looking forward to winter and snow.