Friday, October 24, 2008

Racism and Obama? A note from Helen.

Today I got this email:

Dear Helen,
I found your blog today thanks to a friend. I need your help! My grandparents (both in their 80’s) ripped up their ballots this week when they received them in the mail. (We’re in a state where we mail in our ballots) They generally vote democratic but evidently didn’t want to vote for an African American. I’m embarrassed that they are so racist! Is there anything I can tell them to convince them that they need to vote (for Barack)? Should I bother or maybe it’s a lost cause? I thought maybe since you are of their generation, you could help me.

Thank you,
Jennifer

Well Jennifer, my first instinct was to tell them to pull their heads out of their asses and start living in the 21st century. Life is too short to be hanging on to stuff we learned when we were young and didn’t know any better. But I remember those days. We didn’t know any better and some of us cling to yesterday out of fear and ignorance.

So, as an old lady who has been around the block of few times, here is what I think: Sometimes elections can be about great things… about changing the world. Think Lincoln. Think FDR. I started out in this election supporting Hillary Clinton because I believed our country needed a women’s point of view in the Oval Office. I truly believe that women approach education, war, healthcare, the environment, poverty, etc. differently. Of course then I met Sarah Palin and realized that some women are just bitches who only want to change their wardrobe and your religious freedoms.

So tell your grandparents this instead: Imagine what the world looks like on November 5th if America elects Barack Obama for President. We will have finally closed a chapter on American politics and moved into the 21st Century realizing that hatred, fear and bigotry is a waste of time and energy – both precious commodities of limited quantity. What respect we would get from around the globe. Why wouldn’t your grandparents want to be a part of such a historic moment? Why wouldn’t any of us want to be part of this historic moment - a moment when we profoundly change the world for the better?

But remember we grew up in a different time. We grew up during a time when this country didn’t understand the depths of its hatred. Don’t blame them. They don’t know any better. It is a part of who they are. But if they ignore you, you have my permission to do what I do when Harold doesn’t listen to me. Put laxatives in their pudding.

Thanks for stopping by Jennifer. I mean it. Really.


Helen is my hero! She is a treasure to our country and I appreciate her point of view.
I must say that laxatives in pudding is pretty severe. I got ex laxed by my siblings when I was young and it was funny as hell for them, but i wasted a whole afternoon on the pot. (They were outside the door laughing like crazy. That was brutal.) If I were the grandparents, I would vote for Obama, laxatives being one of the smallest reasons.

VOTE OBAMA!!!! I already did!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

AWESOME! That lady needs to be publicized!