Sunday, April 13, 2008

11:00 PM hike on the Frozen Yukon

I just hiked on the Yukon at 11:00 PM. It is still light outside. It was about zero but super peaceful and just a great hike. I am testing my knee. It is still a bit gimpy but it is holding up with steady walking. It does ache now that I am sitting down. I am curious how it will feel in the morning. Hiking in zero degrees late at night is a great experience. The puddle on the far side of the river is getting larger. I think the river is running more and more under the ice.

BEAR SEEN: Bear have been seen at the Emmonak dump. I have heard that 3 or 4 black bear have been seen finding a quick meal. Before my knee got hurt, I walked to the dump weekly. I think I will borrow the school vehicle and go check it out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems so crazy that a river could be frozen enough to safely HIKE on! Cool!

Hope your knee didn't hurt too bad this morning!

I finally put some pics up of Sky's game on our blog. He sure misses you!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the good olePortland Ave days to me...LOL

Ashley said...

Take a camera! I'd like to see some bears. You know what you should do? Is spend a night there in the car and watch for them. Yep.

Rich said...

I had the school pickup today but I drove everywhere but the dump. Monday 4/21/08. I had to go to parents homes. Lots of water on the road, up to 2-6 inches. The bulldozer was pushing the snow to the side of the road. I had to drive in reverse for a mile because there was no place to turn around! I had to go around a couple of snowmobiles that were parked on the road. By the way, snowmobiles are not being used as much any more. With the snow melting, people are getting on quads or walking.