Sunday, March 16, 2008

I met a famous explorer/ Scientist

His name is Keni Yoshikawa. He is a Japanese explorer/ scientist that has skied to the North Pole, the South Pole, explored the Amazon for a short list. It was explained to me that he is the true Japanese warrior heritage in the modern world. He is doing perma frost studies in the Yukon. He is a permafrost scientist working out of the Univ of Alaska, Fairbanks, AK.

he was in my school and trying to set up the perma frost guages around town. He and his two sidekicks have no guide to lead them from town to town. They are wandering through this frozen country with a GPS and 3 snow mobiles.

He was talking about permafrost in alaska and how much of the perma-frost in the yukon River delta is getting soft. We are gradually losing perma frost because the temperatures are rising. One Yupik lady that I work with said that 20 years ago the temperatures were generally -40 to -60. We are now in the -30 range in the dead of winter. The perma frost studies show a warming going on..... That is what I learned today!

By the way, I got assaulted at school. A boy threw 2 chairs at me. He almost hit a little child but I caught the chair. (Hurt my thumb and wrist though.) I got the 2nd chair on the knee. Home until it heals. the boy has done this before. I filed a police report and said I want to file assault charges against the young man.

No comments: