Sunday, March 30, 2008

Dogs




We have dogs in Emmonak, AK. Here is the policy on dogs: If a dog is not on a leash, it can be shot. Even if a dog is in a fenced yard but not on a leash, it can be shot.
A person can then turn the tail into authorities and get $10.00.

A local hunter craftsman came over to see our neighbors and saw the little bulldog. He petted the dog and said, 'nice fur' in the slow Yupik tone. We chucked because now I think of people who see fur as a means of making gloves, boots or clothing items.
Today is about 30 degrees outside - warm by Emmonak standards.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow- that is nuts. Why do they want to shoot the dogs?

Rich said...

I don't know the total answer but I do know that there is a rabies problem with foxes and dogs. They shot a dog with rabies about a month ago and the word is out to stay away from aggressive foxes. Foxes have been having rabies in recent years.

What I explained about dogs is just want I was told. I know that one of my assistants had her dog shot. He was in her fenced yard but was not tied up. He did not lose his tail though.

Ashley said...

That seems like B.S. to me!