Sunday, February 24, 2008

Kids and snowshoes

Friday, I took 2 kids snowshoeing at the back of the school. It was about 15 below and neither kid had gloves. They were snowshoeing for about 20 minutes and we went in. Back in the room, someone asked them if they were cold. One Boy said, "I am warm, I am an eskimo! This is nothing." He had the biggest smile on his face. He was running around on snow shoes like a mad man.

This coming friday, I get to fly with 3-6 kids to another community for snowshoeing in the special olympics.

I went walking today on the river and I saw a healthy red fox. I walked farther than I had in the past and Alaska is barren snow and ice. The further you get away from the community, you more you get into white and cold. I saw a fox by the trail also. He moved away when I got too close.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you and the students have a good time in the snow shoe competition, you havn't done
special olympics in a very long time....

Rich said...

The kids are pumped. One boy can barely write his name but is great on snowshoes. He is the one who yelled he is an Eskimo and was not cold.

I am looking forward to flying to a field trip - how unusual, only in Alaska.